Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Just Parents

There are some things you will never understand unless you are a parent. It's just a fact. Like, you'll never know what it's like to be a paraplegic until you have no arms and legs. Not that I'm comparing parenthood to being a paraplegic, but sometimes it's very simliar*.

It's nothing disrespectful. I'm not putting down people, or frown up those who don't have kids ... that would be kind of absurd. But - like the poor analogy above, it goes both ways. Don't "put down", or "frown upon" people WITH kids. Hell, if it weren't for your parents having kids you wouldn't be here! I don't really know where this came from, or where it's going.

I got up off the couch after filling out baby book information for 2 and said "Honey! I'm gonna blog!". She said "What about?". I said "About how it's more fun sometimes to swim in a pool with your 2 year old than hang out with your friends". I think she thought I was trying to stir stuff up, because today that was true! Don't get me wrong, I love our friends - they're awesome people and I cherish the time I get to spend with them, because it's not as much as it used to be. But, (hehe, there it was, the big butt in the room) and this is something PARENTS will only understand ... sometimes it is more fun to swim in a pool with your 2 year old than hang out with your friends!

When was the last time you were in the pool with a 2 year old? A 2 year old who has no fear of the water, who jumps in like a frog and any time she goes under water she comes right back up with a big ole' smile! It's contagious! It's beautiful and fun and so careful. I only hope that Stacey and I, Z and I can hold on to this childhood happiness. These kids are pure, and innocent, and love simple pleasures in life like water! They have changed my life.

I don't worry about petty stuff anymore. I find amusement in squirrels and airplanes. I've rediscovered every thing, like, literally everything through the eyes of my daughters. Ants, cheese, trees, puppies ... life is this beautiful adventure that some how gets distorted as you get older! What happens? How can we hold on to what Z has, right now? No cares, no worries, only friends and happiness? I have that, now, thanks to my family. As they get older I consider it my job to remind us all, to keep us all in that happy place, and to continue to provide an atmosphere where joy can thrive.

Sure, I am a sucker for the real world. I am on Facebook. I do worry about money, and bills, and the whole "Hollywood thing". I make humanly adult mistakes. That is the difference between children and adults, is we know right from wrong - where as kids don't necessarily and that gives them a sort of freedom to roam and be curious in a healthy and growing way. But I want to always remember, and encourage those around me, and/or you peeps who read my blog, that we should hang on to as much childhood ness ish as we can. You get what I'm sayin'?

OK. I'm done. Are you? I appreciate you reading, for no other reason than you're reading. I don't know who would be interested, but I feel there are a lot of Mommy blogs on the market, like I've been saying. Are there Daddy blogs? I know ShayCarl and several other dads have taken to YouTube ... that's a little invasive for me, and I see where it leads. (No where bad, just the video limelight which is where I'd rather not be) Is there a Daddy Blogosphere? I should ask Google. Until then, if not ... look out. This whole Stay At Home Mom thing has changed. Mr. Mom is here and ready to kick some ass!

Cheers,
-marc

*I in no way intend to be rude, hateful, or a smartass to paraplegic people ... if you're reading this you have figured out how to surf the internet minus hands! That's pretty effin' cool. All I'm saying is that sometimes, as a parent, I have no hands because I'm carrying a 2 year in one arm, a carseat in the other and 4 bags plus a blow up swim toy! Guess I still have feet, so this analogy fails and the point of adding an asterisk to look cool and make my old hot high school english teacher proud has no purpose. But if you're still reading ... kudos and I love your face.

8 comments:

  1. this is the best post ever. Seriously. I love it and feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather swim with a 2 year old then the friends, so much more fun. I know what you mean. And I don't even have a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was a paraplegic (couldn't use his legs). When I finally got the nerve to ask him the inevitable "so what's it like, anyway?" question, he asked me what it was like to have working legs. I said I didn't know how to answer, since they're just there and I don't really think about them when I don't have a reason to, I just get on with it. And he said there's your answer. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z isn't 2 yet!!!! Longest first to second year ever!! You and Stacey are very lucky to have two wonderful children! Play with them all you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Longest first to second year ever? Whatever! It was super short!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the epilogue to your post... I am not sure it succeeded in making a paraplegic less offended, but I am glad you wrote it anyway Mr. Mom.
    Though I am not a parent yet, I do agree that sometimes it is more fun to hang out with Z and watch her splash in the pool than hang out with the grown ups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was an epilogue?;)

    And who are you callin a grown up?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Hell - 7 Comments? It's like I'm doing something right!

    Noah - your husband was a good man! Smart too!
    Suz - Much love!
    Lizz - You can come swim w/ Z any day! :)

    ReplyDelete