How do you do it? What is the trick? WHY are you blogging?
I have to remind myself that the original goal when Stacey went back to work a second time was to blog consistently in order to create enough material for a book. I feel I am in a unique position to be staying at home with my babes. Not that it's uncommon for fathers to be staying at home with their kids these days, but I have enough talent to write good, (*wink*) and take photos, I might as well use this experience to help others.
But blogging plaques me. It always has, and it always will. It plaques me like Facebook and Google + plaque me. I love it, and I hate it. I'm totally into it, and then I'm not.
Forgive me while I question my sanity for a second...
Why would I want to share with the world what's going on in my life? The whole world isn't watching.
Why do I want to be consistant and blog every day? There's no need! Blog as often or as little as you want, it's not your job.
Do I just blog to blog or is there real meaning behind it? This is almost a journal, one my children and I can look back on and reflect about the good times.
Can I be real? As real as I want to be.
Who's reading? Who cares?
I'm not going to get rid of the blog. I'm still going to post on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for now. Each avenue is a different platform to express myself. As often as I want to move to the country, sell my phone and shoot with film and develop in a darkroom, I'm still plugged in. In today's world you should be. At least a little bit.
It always comes back to what my wife preaches on a daily basis ... balance. Just like everything I can not let social media consume my life. It is a part of it. It can ENHANCE my life, but it should not be my life.
That's all. :)
-marc
I have to remind myself that the original goal when Stacey went back to work a second time was to blog consistently in order to create enough material for a book. I feel I am in a unique position to be staying at home with my babes. Not that it's uncommon for fathers to be staying at home with their kids these days, but I have enough talent to write good, (*wink*) and take photos, I might as well use this experience to help others.
But blogging plaques me. It always has, and it always will. It plaques me like Facebook and Google + plaque me. I love it, and I hate it. I'm totally into it, and then I'm not.
Forgive me while I question my sanity for a second...
Why would I want to share with the world what's going on in my life? The whole world isn't watching.
Why do I want to be consistant and blog every day? There's no need! Blog as often or as little as you want, it's not your job.
Do I just blog to blog or is there real meaning behind it? This is almost a journal, one my children and I can look back on and reflect about the good times.
Can I be real? As real as I want to be.
Who's reading? Who cares?
I'm not going to get rid of the blog. I'm still going to post on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for now. Each avenue is a different platform to express myself. As often as I want to move to the country, sell my phone and shoot with film and develop in a darkroom, I'm still plugged in. In today's world you should be. At least a little bit.
It always comes back to what my wife preaches on a daily basis ... balance. Just like everything I can not let social media consume my life. It is a part of it. It can ENHANCE my life, but it should not be my life.
That's all. :)
-marc
Marc,
ReplyDeleteI first found your blog by way of checking out more of your work (your book is on my daughter's bookshelf). It's nice to see the face behind the art. You have a beautiful family.
As for your blog - keep writing about your family, whether or not you post it online. My husband has been writing his blog (www.biguglymandoll.com) for several years now. A book deal would be a nice thing, but the true value is in having the stories of our kids' childhoods. My only regret is that he didn't start writing his blog sooner. So many stories lost.
For us, having it out there helps to keep people laughing, and keeps family and friends informed about what's going on in our lives. Once every month or so, he prints out the latest and mails it off to his 93-year-old grandmother so she can enjoy it too. She's sent us some of her stories in return. These are treasures that we share.
The world needs more involved fathers. You and Doug are two of them. Represent! Our kids love reading about themselves. I'm sure your girls will look back some day and love your stories in the same way. Just keep writing and loving. That's a great way to support your family. Stacey is a lucky woman and you're lucky to have her in your life, but most of all your girls are lucky to have two loving parents. Enjoy them. It goes fast.
Cheers,
Julie
@Julie - Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment. It's really got me thinking. While I can't commit to blogging daily, I do want to stick to my original commitment to blog as often as possible for MY GIRLS. I have only thought about it in passing, but if I had a place to go back and read what my mother wrote while she was raising our children, I would read it over, and over, and over. Thanks to the net, and blogging, our children will have the opportunity to look back and say "wow, when I was 4 months my dad and mom too me on an airplane to Texas" - That information could be and will be great for them!
ReplyDeleteCheers for the best comment on the blog yet! :)