Friday, May 19, 2006

Piggly Wiggly Day: 1

I woke up today at 8:30 this morning, threw on some black slacks and a white collared shirt and headed to work for my first big day at the Pig. When I walked in I was surprised to see Gary standing by the service counter wearing the exact same thing. A few of you know this guy...he's the dude that runs a paper route, used to be a cook at Waffle House (the one that never scattered the hashbrowns and always made the sandwhiches soggy), and is married to that one very large woman. Well turns out it's G-funk's first day as well. Yay.
I knew working at the Pig would be a humbling experience but I never knew how low it would bring me down. Stacking canned beans on shelves and breaking down card board boxes all day for 6 bucks an hour could bring down anyone's ego. But if a man has to learn work ethic sometime it might as well be when he's learning to enjoy life too...right? But for 6 bucks an hour???
It should be an interesting ride. For however long I can hold on. See, I was supposed to be working with Coleman, a good buddy of mine. But due to a little mis-timing he hasn't been hired yet and I'm stuck listening to Gary tell me all about his gambling addiction and what steals he found at the thrift store.
Stay tuned for more exciting stories from the Piggly, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment