We live in an apartment complex that has 2 washing machines and 2 dryers. There are probably 30 units in our building and I would say 75% of everyone here use the sock eaters.
Today was just another day in the life of a stay-at-home-dad, it's laundry day. I've been doing laundry since 9:00 this morning (it's 1:04). Every 52 minutes my iPhone alerts me that the laundry is dry and it's time to put another load in.
But here's my question. I was on my way to do the 5th and 6th load of laundry and when I got to the room I noticed a bag of clothes ... waiting ... lonely in the room. I had 2 more loads to do. 2 washing machines... What do you do?
Do you only use 1 of the washing machines and take twice as much time to complete the laundry, giving the other person an opportunity to use 1 machine and maybe also take twice as long. Or do you throw both of your loads in and continue because the person wasn't there and timely like you are with your iPhone. Maybe the poor person doesn't have an iPhone ... wouldn't that be sad? But anyway ... What would you do?
I'll tell you what I did after I see your responses. :)
Have a good one!
-marc

Definitely be polite and only use one. They might need that shirt washed for a hot date tonight! ;)
ReplyDeleteI say this is a hard one. My instincts say you were there doing laundry first and once you're finished they can have it. Consider if you were living in a house situation with only one machine of each kind. You would finish ALL of your loads before the other guy started...unless this was an emergency situation in which you could come to some other reasonable answer. But now you have 2 washers and 2 dryers which kind of suggests that you should give them one. But they're not there to take it NOW and you are... I say finish. Do your two loads and they can have them when you're done. They would finish their laundry at the same time of day whether you give them one machine now so they have to do the loads separately or if you make them wait til you're finished and then let them have both machines...
ReplyDeleteI see both points Audra and Sarah made. Being polite is always a priority, but perhaps I should specify a few more details...
ReplyDeleteThe person obviously had 2 loads of laundry. If 1 load of laundry takes 30 minutes to wash and 52 minutes to dry, the total time would be 1 hour and 22 minutes. If I had let him/her use 1 of the washers, he would have had to do laundry for a total of 2 hours and 44 minutes ... as well as me adding that time to my laundry. If he waited for me to do my laundry, he would be able to the same amount of laundry in the same amount of time.
I think the point is that even if I was polite, it would've taken him the same amount of time as it would if I continued to do my laundry.
I live in a dorm, 42 people, 2 washers and 2 dryers. And I always get pretty annoyed when I go down to do laundry and both the washers are being used, because I'm usually on a pretty tight schedule. So if it were me, I would just use one. I always only use one here, even if they are both open, in case someone else wants to do laundry.
ReplyDelete