Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hollywood heights

For the past week my roommates Michael and Lucas have been in Europe leaving me to myself in this crazy mess of a world called Los Angeles. It's been a true test to confirm if this city that obviously doesn't sleep either is really the right place for me. And the test results are coming in every morning (or afternoon) as I wake up. I think the results are showing positive.

I have a beach about 40 minutes away. I love that. A perfect hop skip down the 101 and then that beautiful drive down a winding canyon road to beautiful blue endless bliss. It's breath taking and words can't describe how it feels to stand on the end of our land and gaze out into nothing but water. And getting to do this at least once a week is the perfect receive to happiness.

I also love avocados. California avocados, I love you.

And driving. How cool is it (like last night) to drive on the most popular streets in the world? Yesterday I went over to a friend's house to watch the Texas / Ohio game (what an upset, btw) and on the way back (she lives in Hollywood) I was driving through Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Strip, Melrose Street and Santa Monica Blvd listening to Red Hot Chili Pepper's as loud as I could with the windows rolled down. Perhaps it's cliche', but I had a good time.

It's just fun finding things in this new town. In my new town. If I wanna go to the bank I have to find the bank. If I want to go out to eat I have to discover somewhere on my own . . . and it's always new! If I want to take pictures all I have to do is look around and there's something to take pictures of.

While there's always bad aspects to a city, and there's more bad aspects here than probably anywhere else I think I pride myself on ignoring the negative and focusing on the positive. Com'n, I am a photographer. I block out the ugly and focus to capture the beautiful. And there is SO much beauty here. The people, the stores, the palm trees, the sunsets, the cars, the houses and plant life. It's muy bonita.

So all in all, through the ramblings in each paragraph what I'm trying to say is since my roommates left . . . since they dropped off the face of the planet to leave me to the big bad world outside - I've conquered. I've made friends, found places, gotten a job, eaten pretty well, laughed a lot and just had a really, really good week. I love it out here. I'll be here for a while.

Come visit and you'll get a taste. And you can try our avocados.

Peace,
-marc

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like this was a great move for you! I'm glad that things are working out and that you have found a job. :) And since I live in Ohio...well it wasn't too upsetting for me...hehe. Anyway, it's great to see that you are finding your way around the great city that is Los Angeles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im glad youre having fun while living here, Marc. I still love it here, and ive lived here my entire life. and congrats on the new job. now you can buy more avocados. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc, how wonderful. Live it up! :)

    ReplyDelete